In our last blog, we talked about the ballroom dancing craze and how it has become a popular form of entertainment in recent years. Today, we want to continue with the theme of dance as entertainment and pay tribute to some of our favorite dance movies.
Dance has been used as a form of entertainment for centuries, and dance-themed movies are one of our favorite forms of entertainment. We’ve compiled a list of our top five favorite dance movies, and why we love them.
- “Dirty Dancing” – In the classic 1987 hit, Jennifer Grey is the charming and somewhat naive young woman who with the help of Patrick Swayze becomes a dancing pro by the end of the movie.
- “Footloose” – In 1984 the rebellious Kevin Bacon reminds us that dance is a form of expression and why everyone should be able to dance to express themselves.
- “Center Stage” – Amanda Schull graced the movie screen with her dancing abilities in 2000 and showed moviegoers that even ballet could have unique and modern elements incorporated into the classic dance style.
- “Happy Feet” – In the 2006 animated sensation, penguins engaged everyone in the notion that we all have a song in our hearts, but also a dance in our feet.
- “Saturday Night Fever” – John Travolta took us inside the world of disco in 1977 and wowed everyone with the stellar dance moves from the popular disco movement.
Dance infiltrates every aspect of our lives. From entertainment to exercise to expression, dance allows people to engage with the people and places around them in a unique way as all of the movies listed above show us. At Arthur Murray Dance Center, we want you to be able to join in the fun with dancing as a form of entertainment. Sign up for an exciting dance class today and learn how fun dance can be!